Many women feel like abortion is the only option when they are faced with an unplanned pregnancy.
If you are considering whether or not to have an abortion, it’s important to take a step back and take a deep breath. Give yourself plenty of time to gather as much information as you can before making your decision.
Mosaic Pregnancy & Health Centers offers free pregnancy counseling including medically-accurate information on abortion. Like all medical procedures, abortion carries a number of significant health risks, and it’s important to understand them so you can make an informed choice.
If you do contact or visit an abortion clinic, here are some questions to ask before allowing them to go through with the procedure:
- Does the clinic provide independent counseling with medically accurate information on abortion?
- What is the name of the abortion doctor? Is he or she licensed and board-certified?
- Will you be able to speak privately with the doctor about your personal circumstances?
- Does the doctor have admitting rights to your local hospital in case of complications? Without this, you may not receive the care you need.
- Has the clinic received any patient complaints or been found in violation of state laws?
- How many of the clinic’s patients have experienced complications? Ask for details on the nature of any complications and patient outcomes.
- Will the clinic provide an ultrasound? This will determine how far along you are and whether your pregnancy can be carried to term. If the abortion clinic doesn’t perform ultrasounds, you can receive a free pregnancy ultrasound from licensed medical professionals at Mosaic PHC.
- Will you be allowed to view the ultrasound if you choose to? You have the right to see your ultrasound and to receive information on your baby’s development.
- Will the clinic test you for STIs? Any surgical procedure can be complicated by infection. An untreated infection increases your risk of infertility and ectopic pregnancy. You can visit Mosaic PHC for free STI testing and treatment.
- Will the abortion be done surgically or by a pill? Different abortion procedures carry different risks, so knowing this may affect your decision.
- Will you feel pain? If so, what pain control measures will be taken?
- Will the clinic use local anesthesia, sedation or general anesthesia? All patients have a right to know this and to express a preference.
- Will the clinic give you written information about any possible physical or emotional after-effects of abortion? Every woman responds differently to abortion. If you find yourself struggling after an abortion, please contact Mosaic PHC.
- Can you change your mind at any time? If you are having a medication abortion, ask about abortion pill reversal. Find out where you can go if you change your mind after taking mifepristone.
- Who should you contact if you experience any problems after returning home following the procedure?
- What should you do if the abortion fails? In some cases, the abortion doctor fails to remove all fetal tissue during the initial procedure. If left untreated, this can lead to serious complications.
- Is the clinic willing to refer you to local agencies that can help if you decide to continue your pregnancy?
Above all, assert your rights. No one can force or pressure you into an abortion. If someone is pressuring you to have an abortion against your will, please call Mosaic Pregnancy & Health Centers.
We are here to answer your questions and provide the compassionate care you need in a friendly, nonjudgmental environment.