Thinking About “Natural” Abortion? Read This First.
The trend of seeking out natural products and alternative medicine has led to a resurgence of women attempting so-called “natural” abortion at home.
While precise statistics on the number of self-induced abortion attempts are hard to come by, Google search data clearly shows the growing interest in DIY abortion methods:
- In 2015, there were 700,000 Google searches in the United States related to self-induced abortion, according to a report published in the New York Times.
- Almost 120,000 of these searches were for the phrase “how to have a miscarriage.”
- An alarming 160,000 searches were seeking abortion pills through illicit channels.
Risks of Do-It-Yourself Abortion
The reality is there are no “safe” natural ways to terminate
A number of potential dangers have been identified for women who attempt various home abortion methods:
- Toxicity from ingesting too many drugs at once
- Overdose from taking illicit drugs or unregulated supplements
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Congenital abnormalities if the baby survives the abortion attempt
- Emotional concerns if an abortion occurs
A Healthier Approach to Pregnancy Decision Making
If you are pregnant or suspect you might be, it’s essential to seek medically accurate information and quality medical care from licensed practitioners, including trained doctors, registered nurses
- Your first step should be a lab-quality pregnancy test. For example, Mosaic Pregnancy & Health Centers provide free pregnancy testing that is 99% accurate and detects pregnancy at its earliest stages.
- If you have a positive pregnancy test result, an ultrasound is needed to confirm how far along you are and the viability of your pregnancy. An ultrasound can also detect potentially harmful conditions like ectopic pregnancy.
- Once a viable pregnancy is confirmed, you need information from trustworthy sources to help you make an informed decision. Mosaic PHC provides
medicallyaccurate information you need to make your decision.
- If you continue your pregnancy, it’s important to get regular, quality prenatal care, and to seek out helpful resources from reputable organizations. Mosaic PHC helps you prepare for childbirth and parenting through our free First Steps classes, which also give you the chance to earn free baby items.
Are you considering abortion? Have you considered the risks of attempting natural abortion methods to induce a miscarriage?
Contact Mosaic PHC. Our trained, caring staff and volunteers are here to provide you the accurate pregnancy information you need to make healthy pregnancy decisions you can feel good about.